Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day, Mama

A card just won't do, Mama.

Instead of writing about how much I love you (and I do), seems like a good idea to review four really important lessons you taught me. Took years to understand most of them. Probably don't have it all quite right even now.

Never chew gum "off the property."
I always thought you hated the sound of gum being snapped, but it wasn't about the gum, was it? It was about showing the world our best, about having respect for ourselves and others. You taught us there was a time and place for everything.

Say "Thank you."
Yes, you taught us basic manners. Beyond that, you taught us to be truly grateful for things and to express that gratitude. Long before it became fashionable, you knew that gratitude changes everything.

Pick up your feet when you walk.
You always did hate the sound of dragging feet, but that wasn't the whole story. Picking up our feet pretty much guarantees that we step lightly on the earth. We trust that the ground will be beneath them when we put them down again. You taught us to let go, again and again, in ways big and small, our whole lives long. Turns out, there aren't many skills more important for life.

Home is where you are.
We grew up hundreds (sometimes thousands) of miles from your home, mostly in a town where you barely knew a soul. But you gave us an unshakeable sense of home. Wherever we are, wherever we may go, your love is there. That has given us the freedom to see the world, knowing home is always right there waiting. Not always in the same place, because you have moved through the years, too. But always, always home.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you.

4 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

Wonderful lessons. Beautiful writing. You, my dear, would make any mother proud!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto Deb! I love how you've turned these lessons over and culled maximum wisdom from them!

mamatulip said...

Such a sweet post.

I have a question for you lovely ladies, actually. I recently inherited two night tables from my grandmother that have damaged tops. I'd really like to make something, sort of like a placemat, to put on top, but I'd like it to be something that I can wipe down easily. Got any hot ideas?

riversgrace said...

Ok, I started to weep at the title and keep going til the end. You two are the real deal. Love to you both!