Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sneak Peak

WoooHoooo!!! We got Katie's quilt on the long-arm last night.


For those of you who aren't quilters, that means we finished piecing the top (sewing the individual blocks together). Each block you see is a separate piece of fabric. I hand sewed each heart, each star, each X and O to its background. (I machine stitched the layers of the flowers because I want the edges to fray.) Then Mom helped me sew the blocks together.

We attached the quilt top, backing fabric, and batting to the machine's rollers. Now we're ready to quilt it (sew those layers together).


It's a little hard to tell in these photos, but this machine is about twelve feet long. Katie's quilt is roughly 85 inches wide and 105 inches long, but the machine has no problem handling it with space to spare.


Stay tuned. If I really focus (yeah, right!), I should be able to finish quilting in two or three days.

3 comments:

Kim said...

That quilt is outrageously beautiful. I cannot imagine a better gift!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I hope that I get to see it in person before Katie gets it.

Nancy

Deb Shucka said...

No girl has ever been more celebrated as she turns 21! Beautiful quilt. Amazing cookbook. All that love.

Is she carrying the aptitude for craft and cooking into the next generation?